Many poorly educated people believe that a tattoo with the image of a cross is a symbol of the Christian faith. But this statement is erroneous. The cross, as a symbol, appeared long before the birth of religion. It was used in the pagan rituals of various peoples and tribes. For some, the cross symbolized the masculine and feminine principles, for others it carried a more cosmic meaning – the four cardinal directions and the four seasons. Therefore, the meaning of a tattoo in the form of a cross will vary depending on the type and shape of the drawing.
- The Orthodox cross. A true symbol of faith in the unity of the father, the son and the holy Spirit. And by depicting Jesus on the cross, the owner of the tattoo reminds himself and everyone around him about the price that the redemption of the sins of mankind came at;
- Celtic (Irish) cross. It symbolizes solar energy and infinity. Such a cross unites the whole world, connected and twisted by various life paths. It pushes the owner to self-development and spiritual improvement;
- An inverted cross. It carries a rather negative message, since it is a symbol of Satan among many subcultures. However, the modern interpretation of this image has nothing to do with this.This type of tattoo can be read as a knight's sword, which means it is strength and courage, or the shape of a female figure, and this is a symbol of the real feminine principle.
- The Egyptian cross. In ancient Egyptian culture, it is a symbol of eternal life. It is the key to vitality, power, and immortality. A tattoo with the image of such a cross has magical power and feeds its owner with special energy;
Black Cross (Schwarzkreuz). Initially, it was an identification mark of military equipment in Germany. Depicting it with curved ends, the cross carries the ideology of Nazism and the struggle for pure blood;
Armenian cross. A very beautiful cross with many inlaid details. It symbolizes the life force born from the mountains, and leads the owner on the right path;
- Maltese or St. George's Cross. Tattoos with such a cross are stuffed by people whose profession is connected with helping others. It symbolizes bravery, courage and dedication;
Location of the cross tattoo
can add additional value to a tattoo by placing it in a certain place on the body. Stuffing a cross on the back, the person confirms his ability to "carry his cross". He is responsible for his life and his preferences. A cross on the wrist or fingers the cross serves as a reminder of the lost loved ones.
The cross on the chest serves as a talisman against blows to this vital point
However, it is worth noting that the tattoo of the cross in prison circles has a completely different meaning. For example, a cross on a finger indicates being in places not so remote, and the number of rays or points around it indicates the duration of stay. A tattoo on an arm or shoulder means negation prison rules
and laws, and on the back – a strong will and atonement for sins. To date, there are many variations of tattoos with the image of a cross. This is not only the cross itself, but numerous "paintings" with additional elements, each of which complements the tattoo with its own special meaning.